Thursday, June 4, 2015

Ariela reviews Tribeca 2015 ANESTHESIA, TUMBLE DOWN and ASHBY

Ariela has been circling Unseen Films for a while. She's a good friend of Chocko's  and is occasionally found in his company at various music and film events. Ariela has also taken to volunteering at film festivals, all the better to see the movies for free. I, being completely oblivious to pretty much everything never notice her until she sneaks up behind me at a festival and hits me with a large mallet she secrets in a very small pocket...

...that's not true, she doesn't hit me, she just spots me before I spot her, though considering my size and the monster bag I carry that isn't hard to do.

This year at Tribeca we kept crossing paths which meant that we had a staggered but continuing conversation about the movies playing and writing on film. Somewhere in the conversations I told her that if she wrote up what she was seeing I'd post it at Unseen. She thought I was lying until I said it to her a couple of times and then had Chocko go out and strong arm her for some reviews. She told him that as soon as she had a minute she'd send something my way.

A couple days ago she finally sent me three reviews of  films she saw at Tribeca. What follows is all her- all I did was add the pictures. Beyond that I don't know what to say other than we are in talks about her possibly doing some more reviews, particularly helping out with some festival coverage.

And now I present Miss Ariela reviewing three films from this years Tribeca Film Festival



Anesthesia
Anesthesia had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival. I'm happy I was able to attend one of the screenings. Anesthesia takes place in New York City and tells the store of a professor who gets violently mugged. The movie starts with the mugging and then goes back and we learn who this professor is and the relationships that surround him and what leads to the mugging. I don't want to give too much away, especially because I really enjoyed it! It was really gripping.The cast was great, it includes Sam Waterston as the professor, Glenn Close as his wife, Kristen Stewart, Gretchen Mol, Tim Blake Nelson (who also wrote and directed it) among others.I really hope this gets picked up, because it was by far one of the best movies I saw at the festival. (out of the 14 I saw)

Tumbledown
My first screening that I saw at Tribeca Film Festival was Tumbledown. It stars Rebecca Hall(Hannah) and Jason Sudeikis (Andrew). It's the story of Hannah who is trying to get over the death of her husband, the love of her life, who was a folk singer who only recorded one album prior to his death, but had a cult following, Andrew wants to write about her late husband and so he tries to establish a professional relationship with her in order to be able to find out about the folk singer. This isn't easy for Andrew to do, as Hannah feels she is the only one who can write about her late husband. Hannah's tough, stubborn and still grieving. I didn't love the movie, but I did enjoy it and thought it was sweet. I would recommend seeing it when it comes to video/dvd/netflix, however people watch things these days. According to IMDB it's coming out next February.

Ashby
Out of the 14 movies I saw at the recent Tribeca Film Festival, Ashby was by far my favorite. It's the one movie I can say I truly loved and would even buy when it comes out on DVD. I'm really excited to report that Paramount Pictures will be releasing it, though I don't know when. The story is about a 17 year old boy played by Nat Wolf, and the relationship he forms with his neighbor, former CIA assassin, played by Mickey Rouke. This might have actually been the first time I had seen Mickey Rourke in anything, and he was great. The whole cast was great. Emma Roberts, who is so adorable in this, plays his friend from school and the movie also deals with their relationship. It also deals with his relationship with his mother, played by Sarah Silverman. I was never a huge fan of hers, but I liked her in this role. Reading the brief summary of it in the Tribeca movie guide, it seemed like it was going to be a coming of age movie. It definitely was, but it was a lot darker than I thought it was going to be. There definitely was comedy in it. I guess if I had to I would classify it as a dark comedy. See this movie when it comes out. I can't say enough good things about it.

1 comment:

  1. Great reviews! I'll add them to my queue...how I watch things these days ;-)

    ReplyDelete