Thursday, April 14, 2011

Count Of Monte Cristo (2002)


"What happened to your mercy?"

"I'm a Count, not a saint."

Before he was Jesus, Jim Caviezel was Edmond Dantes in a film version of the classic tale that has become one of my most favorite films of all time. It's one of those films that I have to stop and watch every time I come across it on cable.

The story is that of a man, Dantes, who is set up to take a fall and sent off never to be seen again. While walled away in prison he is taught by another prisoner about life. His friend also tells him where there is a great treasure. When his friend dies he switches places with the body and manages to gain his freedom. Collecting the treasure he sets about exacting revenge...

It's not a straight forward revenge tale of the sort we're used to, there is more going on, including a strong connection to being a good Christian. Justice is ultimately tinged with mercy.

Probably one of the finest adventure films of the still young 21st century, this is a film that takes the modern way of filmmaking and uses it to fashion an old fashion movie. It's a near perfect updating of the novel, keeping almost all of the major plot points and adding a modern vernacular (I don't think some of Jocapo's dialog is really from late 18th century.)

You'll have to forgive me, but I don't know what to say about the film other than if you've never seen it you really should do so, and if you have seen it why aren't you watching it again.

This is one of my most favorite films ever and I can't recommend it more than that; it kicks ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment