Monday, July 5, 2010

Brave


Bee is forced into robbing Wealthy Bank of its credit card subscribers in order to save the life of his brother. Things then go sideways as they try to unravel the question of why they were singled out and how the robbery fits into the death of a bank president.

This is a Thai action film which proves that with some films no real plot is needed and any attempt at going deeper than the surface will get in the way of the action.

Forget the plot here. It makes zero sense no matter how you look at it. I mean there really isn’t one for half the film so why did they bother create one in the second half since it feels completely made up on the spot.

With the plot dismissed you’re left with a film that is mostly a series of action set pieces. The first half of the film is comprised of two, the opening robbery and a chase that culminates at a building under construction. And when I say they are the first half of the film I mean it. Almost all of the first 45 minutes are just these two pieces.

After that the plot kicks in and its painful going until we get to the extended fight scene that takes up a good chunk of the final half hour.(The last ten minutes of the film is the non-action resolution and makes zero sense) I put this film as a goof. I thought I was going to just have it on as background noise before I went to bed, but amazingly the momentum of the first half of the film kept me watching. I winced when the talking started and they tried to have a real plot, but it wasn’t long before we were back in the thick of the fighting and the film became fun again.

It’s a pure popcorn movie. Its far far from a great film on any level, but its flailing bodies makes for some interesting eye candy.

Worth a cheap rental or if you can pick it up like I did in a Chinatown bargain bin for a fiver.


No comments:

Post a Comment