Friday, April 9, 2010

Wrong is Right (1982)


I'm ahead of the curve on this one. I'm one of the few people who saw this in theaters when it came out. I don't know what that says about me.

On the other hand the film which no one thought was possible is now no longer a comedy but an eerie look into now.

Reporter Sean Connery is hot on the trail of a terrorist seeking nuclear weapons. He's tracked by the CIA and other governmental agencies as well as various media outlets. Everyone manipulates everyone and in the end you're left wondering if there is anyone we can trust either in government or in the media.

When first released the film was a seemingly over the top spoof of the media and the governments uneasy relationship. No one could believe that this film was even remotely connected to reality and so they ignored it. I saw this film in a completely empty theater back in 1982. I was all alone and my laughter filled the theater. I thought it was a wicked spoof that took things, like the British Whoops Apocalypse, to a possible but uncomfortable conclusion.

After a run on cable this film dropped off the face of the earth and I didn't see it again until 1991 when I rented it during the first Iraq War. The film suddenly was very relevant and despite the fact that the jokes were funny, I couldn't laugh very much because what happened in the film was mirrored by reality.

Now, almost 30 years later, film is out on DVD as the world is even closer to the type of things that happen in the film. Its still funny, only it's even more uncomfortable. (granted it's dated slightly but its mostly on target)

No matter where you stand politically see this film. It will not only make you laugh, but it will give you reason to think. Its simply a funny movie that's going to make you see things a little bit differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment